The LAP-BAND® System procedure is indicated in overweight patients who have a BMI of 33 or greater. However insurance companies will not pay for the LAP-BAND® System procedure unless patients have a BMI of at least 35 and have associated medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc. (see list of associated medical conditions) and have failed at least one year of conservative therapy of supervised diet, drugs for appetite suppression, exercise and behavior modification therapy.
Body Mass Index Table
Additionally, patients must meet the following criteria in order to be a candidate for LAP-BAND® System surgery:
- Be 18 years old and not pregnant
- Must be a good surgical risk
- Patients must not have a disease which caused the obesity , i.e. thyroid disease
- Patient must not be addicted to alcohol or drugs
- Patient must be able and willing to abide by necessary dietary and life style changes post-operatively
- Must not be on chronic steroids
- Patient must not have any of the following medical conditions:
An inflammatory disease of the Gastrointestinal Tract
Cirrhosis of the liver & Portal Hypertension
An Auto-Immune Disease
Patients with certain psychological illnesses.
Patients with prior stomach surgery
Note: Patients should stop smoking before surgery.
* Weight loss results may vary from person to person.